Thursday, May 26, 2005

Gone Fishing

I was sitting in a boat, on a lake, early in the morning. The sun had barely risen over the tops of the trees and little snakes of mist began to worm their way along the surface of the water. And I? I was fishing.

I was young at the time, but who isn't when they start to fish? At first, I didn't even know what to do. I just sort of dangled my line in the water, not even sure if I was ready for this yet. But, the more I thought about it, the more I knew I was ready. Not just for fishing either. I wanted a keeper. None of this catch and release over and over again. I wanted to wait for just the right one, catch it, and hold on to just that one. I saw a few swimming around that looked good, but as I watched them dart about, I could tell that there was something wrong with them. It isn't easy fishing like that, but it was how I was going to do it.

Most people catch all they can and only when they finally get the best do they stop. But, I've watched them... They always seem to find a better one shortly after they catch their "one". Those people are always unhappy with what they have and keep trying to get something better. All I can think of is how many fish they nearly kill in their search for the best. That's not my way. I don't want to hurt any fish.

As I watched the fish around the boat, I noticed one in particular. It certainly looked like a keeper. And, as I watched it, the more convinced I was that that fish was the keeper. So, I dropped the line next to it and watched what happened. I wasn't going to jerk about too much, that might scare it. So I just sorta eased towards it. But the fish wasn't interested. So, I tried putting my best on the line and easing it towards it. No luck there either. I decided to try just the line, no frills or anything so that the fish could choose with no deceptions involved. Zilch result. True, I kept my distance from it. No sense in scaring the thing away. But, I wasn't getting the line close enough...

Grabbing my net, I eased my way to the edge of the boat where the fish lurked just below the surface. I knew that if this didn't work, that fish would likely dart off and I'd stand no chance at getting it then. I got ready with the net. I tensed up, ready to plunge it in the water. And then, I noticed something...

I wanted this fish to be a keeper, but how was this going to go for the fish? Easing back into the boat, I leaned back and thought about it. If I let this fish go, it was likely going to have a much better life in that lake than in an aquarium. And, as I had seen, this was no dumb fish. Only the best could ever hope to catch it, meaning that it would live a far better life if somebody else caught it. Somebody better. And really, what would happen if I let it go? Besides, I'm a terrible fisherman. The fish would likely have to jump into the boat before I'd catch it. I suppose some people just aren't supposed to fish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Web www.damavster.blogspot.com